What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?
Much like a residential EPC, a non-domestic EPC rates the energy efficiency of that building – it examines the efficiency of the building fabric, and the installed heating, ventilation, air conditioning systems, and lighting systems.
The rating system is the same as that used with residential EPCs, with an ‘A’ rating being the most energy efficient and ‘G’ being the lowest rating.
Commercial buildings are divided into three categories, known as level 3, 4, and 5. The differences between the levels focus on the sophistication of the installed heating and ventilation systems, and whether the premises is newly built (or existing).
Who needs a Commercial EPC?
You will require a non-domestic EPC when:
- you rent out or sell the premises
- a building under construction is finished
- there are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems
Fines of between £500 and £5,000 can be levied on organisations who do not make an EPC available to any prospective tenant or buyer. Unlike domestic EPCs (except for Scotland), in most cases a commercial EPC needs to be displayed at the premises. The following situations would provide exemption from having to obtain a non-domestic EPC.
- listed or officially protected, and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
- a temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
- used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
- an industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
- a detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
- due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents
If you are unsure as to whether you qualify for an exemption please contact our Technical Team on 0845 0945 192.
Why use Vibrant for your Commercial EPC?
Quite simply our experience – we have processed over 6,000 non-domestic EPCs in the UK. We have full UK coverage, all postcodes are covered. We also have a fully qualified Technical Team that offers support and advice..all free of charge. We have a very straightforward pricing system that is based upon building size (approximates are fine) – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a quotation.